Transition to another category

​​​​The Teacher Registration Act 2012 (Act) allows you to move from one category of registration to another depending on your specific circumstances. 

If you are not able to renew your current registration you may apply to move to another category of registration.  Please refer to the type of registration you currently hold to understand your transition options:

Holders of Provisional Registration

Holders of Non-Pr​​​actising Registration ​​​

Holders of Full Registration

For applicants transitioning between registration categories there is no fee.

Continuance of registration

It is important that your application to move to another category of registration be submitted as soon as possible, to allow the TRBWA time to process your application prior to the expiry of your current period of registration.

The Board aims to process applications for registration as quickly as practicable. Most applications are processed within 10 weeks. Many applications take less time but some may take longer depending on the complexity of the application.   

Although the TRBWA will aim to process your application in a timely manner, the TRBWA cannot guarantee that your application will be finalised prior to the expiry of your current registration period.

If your current registration expires, your name will be removed from the Register of Teachers and you will no longer be able to teach in an educational venue in Western Australia until you are granted teacher registration. Please note that under section 6 of the Act it is an offence to teach whilst unregistered.