Currently registered in WA

1. How can I change my contact details?

To change your email address, telephone, postal address or street address, please refer to Update your contact details.

2. How do I change my name?

To change your name, please refer to Update your contact details. You must provide copies of evidence of the name change. In most situations this will be through an official marriage certificate (not a ceremonial certificate) or change of name certificate (issued by a State or Territory Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages).

3. Can I transfer my registration if I move interstate?

Teacher registration authorities in all Australian States, Territories and New Zealand recognise teacher registration in Western Australia through mutual recognition. Generally, this only applies to those holding Full Registration or Provisional Registration. 

Please make contact with the relevant teacher registration authority to determine their specific policies and requirements.

4. Can the TRBWA cancel a teacher's registration?

The TRBWA is required to cancel a teacher's registration as soon as possible after the Board becomes aware that the teacher is no longer entitled to be registered.

The following events may result in cancellation:

  • conviction of a sexual offence involving a child, including use of child pornography
  • issued with a negative notice or an interim negative notice by the Working with Children Screening Unit
  • failure to consent to a criminal history check, unless there are extenuating circumstances
  • a qualification relied on for registration is withdrawn or cancelled
  • a qualification relied on for registration was forged or fraudulently obtained
  • a teacher is in arrears in respect of fees due and payable, unless there are extenuating circumstances
  • the State Administrative Tribunal instructs the TRBWA to cancel a teacher's registration.

5. Can I remain registered despite having been out of the profession for several years?

Those teachers holding Full Registration or Provisional Registration have the option to apply to transition to Non-Practising Registration which lasts indefinitely and is subject to the following conditions and requirements:

  • annual fees must still be paid by the due date
  • the teacher remains subject to the disciplinary provisions and the notification obligations
  • the teacher must notify the TRBWA that they have commenced teaching within 14 days of doing so
  • once a teacher has commenced teaching, they have a 2 year period to transition to Full or Provisional Registration.

Transition to Non-Practising Registration is not available to those with Limited Registration.

6. Can I renew my Limited Registration?

Yes, a Limited Registration may be renewed. This requires the employer to make an application for a further period of Limited Registration, on behalf of the teacher, which has identical teaching requirements to the expiring registration. This should be submitted at least 28 days prior to the expiry date of the registration.

7. Can I renew my Provisional Registration?

​If you hold Provisional Registration with the TRBWA, you are expected to transition to Full Registration or Non-Practising Registration prior to the expiry of your Provisional Registration. It will not be possible to renew your Provisional Registration unless the Board is satisfied that there are exceptional circumstances for doing so. Please refer to the Consideration of extenuating and exceptional circumstances for registration policy​ for more information. ​

8. Can I extend my Non-Practising Registration?

Your Non-Practising Registration will expire 2 years from the day you commenced teaching. Non-Practising Registration is extendable only in extenuating circumstances. Please refer to the Consideration of extenuating and exceptional circumstances for registration policy​ for more information. 

9. What are my renewal of registration obligations if I am a relief or part time teacher?

Relief or part time teachers are required to meet the same requirements as all teachers applying to renew registration.  There are no provisions in the legislation for lowering or raising requirements for different teaching loads.

10. Does unpaid volunteer teaching meet the professional engagement requirements for renewal of registration?

Regulation 7 of the Teacher Registration (General) Regulations 2012 states that an unpaid volunteer is teaching if:

a)     the volunteer is solely or principally responsible for the delivery of, and the assessment of student participation in, an education programme designed to implement a prescribed curriculum; or

b)     the volunteer is administering an educational programme designed to implement a prescribed curriculum and is solely or principally responsible for its administration.

Unpaid volunteer teaching will only count as professional engagement if the unpaid volunteer teaching fulfils the definition as described above.

11. What if my registration is subject to a condition?

You must abide by any condition imposed upon your registration. A registered teacher and the person engaging a registered teacher are both subject to a $5000 fine for the first offence and $10000 fine for the second offence of the contravention of a condition.

12. What is an 'educational venue' for the purposes of teacher registration?

  • all government and non-government schools
  • community kindergartens
  • child care centres (a place where a child care services as defined in the Child Care Services Act 2007 Section 4 is provided)
  • long day care (i.e. a place where centre-based services operate as defined in the Education and Care Services National Law (Western Australia) Act 2012)
  • a juvenile detention centre (Banksia Hill Detention Centre).

13. How is 'teaching' defined for the purposes of teacher registration?

'Teaching' means to undertake duties in an educational venue that include:

  • the delivery of an educational programme designed to deliver a prescribed curriculum and the assessment of student participation in such an educational programme; or
  • the administration of any such educational programme.

14. How does 'administration of an educational programme' meet the definition of 'teaching'?

For the purposes of teacher registration, duties undertaken by principals, deputy principals, heads of learning or other educational leaders which include the oversight of, leadership or management of the development and/or implementation of educational programmes within an educational venue, is also considered teaching.