Verification of identity
1. Why do I need to have my identity verified?
All applicants for teacher registration in Western Australia are required to provide consent for a national criminal history check. National criminal history checks are undertaken on behalf of the TRBWA by the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC).
As part of the ACIC requirements, the TRBWA is required to verify the identity of the person making the application.
2. What identity documents do I need to provide?
As part of your registration application, you must provide four identity documents to process a national criminal history check. The four documents must comply with the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) requirements and you are required to provide:
- one document from the list of Commencement of identity documents (such as, but not limited to, an Australian birth certificate, Australian passport, ImmiCard, Australian Citizenship certificate)
- one document from the list of Primary use in the community documents (such as, but not limited to, an Australian drivers licence, Australian marriage certificate, a non-Australian passport with valid entry stamp)
- two documents from the list of Secondary use in the community documents (such as, but not limited to, certificate of identity issued by DFAT, Medicare card, Australian tertiary student photo identity document, Working with Children check).
The combined identity documents must contain the your:
- full name
- date of birth
- clear, colour photograph.
Please note, only one identity document needs to include a photograph.
All documents must be current. Any expired documents will not be accepted.
Please refer to the Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check Application and Informed Consent Form for a list of the identity documents that may meet the minimum proof of identity requirements.
Please contact the TRBWA for further advice if you are unable to meet the minimum proof of identity requirements.
3. What if my identity documents do not contain a photograph?
If your identity documents do not include a photograph you must submit a clear, colour passport-style photograph certified by a person listed in Schedule 2 of the ‘Authorised Third Parties for the Verification of Identity’ information sheet.
The authorised third party must sight a recent clear, colour passport-style photograph of you and clearly print the following information on the back of that photograph:
1. “This is a true image of (full name of the applicant)”;
2. the third party’s name and position or role e.g. Justice of Peace;
3. the third party’s signature; and
4. date of signature.
You will then need to upload a copy of both sides of the certified photograph within the Identification photo section of your online application for registration.
4. How do I verify my identity?
For all registration applications (including the renewal of registration and transition to another category), verification of your identity is required. To verify your identity, there are two options;
- An authorised third party will make a face-to-face visual comparison between you and the original photo identification document you used as part of your application. For the purposes of teacher registration, an authorised third party must be employed in an occupation as listed in the Statutory Declaration Regulations 2018.
- In person - you are able attend the TRBWA office in person. This method is undertaken on an appointment only basis. If required, the TRBWA will contact you as part of the application process to arrange an appointment.
Please contact the TRBWA for further advice if you are unable to complete the identity verification process through one of the methods outlined above.
5. How do I verify my identity with an authorised third party?
Once you have uploaded the required identification documents and verified your personal details as part of the online application process, you will be able to download your ‘Verification of identity by an authorised third party’ form. You will then need to:
1. Print the form.
2. Present the form and all the original identity documents you have provided as part of your application, to an authorised third party to undertake an identity verification.
3. The authorised third party must:
- sight all identity documents;
- make a face-to-face visual comparison between you and the photo identification document, and
- complete sections 3 and 4 of the form.
4. Ensure all sections of the form are complete.
5. Login to TRBWA Online Services and find your open application.
6. Upload a copy of this completed form to your online application for registration within the ‘Verification of Identity’ section.
6. What does it mean to be an authorised third party?
An authorised third party is an occupation or person as listed in the Statutory Declaration Regulations 2018. Please refer to the ‘Authorised third parties for verification of identity’ information sheet for the list.
All applicants for teacher registration in Western Australia are required to provide consent for a national criminal history check. As part of the criminal history check requirements, the identity of the person making the application must be verified.
For the purposes of teacher registration in Western Australia, an authorised third party can verify the identity of an applicant on behalf of the TRBWA.
When verifying the identity of an applicant, you will need to:
1. sight the 4 original identity documents the applicant has provided as part of their application. These identity documents will be detailed on the applicant’s ‘Verification of identity by an authorised third party’ form,
2. make a face-to-face comparison between the applicant and the photo identification; and
3. complete sections 3 and 4 of the ‘Verification of identity by an authorised third party’ form.