Final Year Initial Teacher Education (ITE) Students

1. Can I apply for Provisional Registration - Graduate Teacher before I receive my qualification?

Yes. If you are enrolled in an Australian or New Zealand initial teacher education (ITE) program you are eligible to apply for Provisional Registration - Graduate Teacher in your final semester of study. You can complete the Application for Provisional registration - Graduate Teacher (Final Year Student) form via Teacher Login.

We advise you to submit your application as early as possible in your last semester.

Your application will only be finalised when we receive your final academic transcript to evidence that you have successfully completed your qualification.  

You can authorise your higher education provider to release your final academic transcript directly to us. Please check with your higher education provider if they offer this service. Alternatively, you can upload a copy of your final academic transcript via Teacher Login.

Please note, your registration will only be granted when you have met all the requirements for registration.

2. What qualifications do I need to gain registration as a teacher in Western Australia?

To be registered as a teacher in Western Australia you must hold a teaching qualification from an accredited initial teacher education (ITE) program or a qualification that the Board recognises as equivalent. 

For further information about equivalency, please refer to the TRBWA Qualifications Policy and the Qualification frequently asked questions.

3. What identification and supporting documents do I need to provide when I apply for registration?

When we process your application for registration, we need to be certain that you are a fit and proper person to teach and meet the qualification and English language requirements. You will need to upload the following identification and supporting documentation as part of the online application process:

  • Four identity documents, compliant with the requirements of the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC)
  • one document from the list of Commencement of identity documents (such as, but not limited to, an Australian birth certificate, a current Australian passport, ImmiCard, Australian Citizenship certificate)
  • one document from the list of Primary use in the community documents (such as, but not limited to, a current Australian drivers licence, Australian marriage certificate, a non-Australian passport with valid entry stamp or a visa)
  • two documents from the list of Secondary use in the community documents (such as, but not limited to, a current certificate of identity issued by DFAT, Medicare card, Australian tertiary student photo identity document, Working with Children check).

The combined identity documents must contain your:

  • full name
  • date of birth
  • clear, colour photograph.

Please note, at least one identity document needs to include a photograph.

All documents must be current. Any expired documents will not be accepted.

Please refer to the Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check Application and Informed Consent Form for a list of identity documents that may meet the minimum proof of identity requirements. If you are unable to provide a commencement document, please contact the TRBWA on (08) 9223 9100. We will assess your ability to meet the requirements and determine the most suitable method to confirm your identity.

  • In some instances, a change of name certificate issued by the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages or an Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory may be required. These documents are only required if you provide identity documents in different names, such as a former name. If you are using this document to show a link between names, you are not able to also use it as one of your four forms of identification.
  • A current student record. Please refer to question 4 for information about student records.

4. What is a current student record?

If you are enrolled in your final semester of study, you will need to provide a current student record when you submit your application for Provisional Registration (Final Year Student).

Your current student record will generally show the name of your higher education provider, your name, title of your ITE program, list of units you have completed and any other courses in which you are enrolled or have completed.

For WA higher education providers, please provide the following:

  • Edith Cowan University – Confirmation of Enrolment or Course Unit Details
  • Curtin University – Academic eRecord
  • Murdoch University – Statement of Enrolment
  • Notre Dame University – Unofficial Transcript
  • University of Western Australia – Course Unit Details
  • Montessori World – Student Record

5.  How long does it take to process my application for registration?

We make every effort to process applications for registration as quickly as possible. 

Your application will only be finalised when we receive your final academic transcript to confirm that you have successfully completed your qualification.

Processing times also depend on whether the documentation and information you have supplied is complete and accurate, how complex your application is and the time it takes for the results of your criminal history check to be returned to us.

6. Can I be employed as a relief teacher once I have finished my course but prior to receiving my qualification?

You may only be employed as a teacher, relief, on contract or permanent, once you hold the relevant registration with the TRBWA.

If an educational institution would like to employ you before you are awarded your qualification and before Provisional Registration - Graduate Teacher is granted, they can make an application for Limited Registration on your behalf.

For further information, please refer to the Limited Registration webpage.

7. If I am completing my teaching qualification, and I hold Limited Registration, do I still need to apply for Provisional Registration - Graduate Teacher?

Yes. If you hold current Limited Registration, you are limited to teaching in a specific teaching role, which can be suitable when you are completing your qualification and doing some teaching work. 

Once you graduate, to be free to work in any teaching roles you will need Provisional Registration - Graduate Teacher.

You can submit an application while you are still completing your qualification (in your final semester), and this will be processed but not finalised until your Final Academic Transcript is received.