Teaching in a centre-based education and care service

​​​​The Teacher Registration Act 2012 requires that all teachers who teach from early childhood to Year 12, in an educational venue in Western Australia, must hold teacher registration with the TRBWA.

This includes those who are teaching in centre-based education and care services such as long day care and child care centres.

Do I need to be registered as a teacher?

If you are teaching, as defined by the Teacher Registration Act 2012, in an education and care service, you will require registration as a teacher if you either:

(a) hold an Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) approved early childhood teaching (ECT) qualification, or

(b) are enrolled in an approved ECT qualification, and hold an approved diploma level educator qualification or have completed at least
     50 per cent of the ECT course.

Note that for the purposes of teacher registration with the TRBWA you are considered to be teaching, if in your role, you:

  • undertake duties that include the delivery of an educational programme as part of the Early Years Learning Framework, or another prescribed early years curriculum, and the assessment of student participation in that educational programme in a centre; or
  • have responsibility/oversight for the development and implementation (the administration) of the educational programme delivered in a centre.

Note also that, in an early childhood context, you are not considered to be teaching and therefore do not need to be registered as a teacher if:

  • your role only involves assisting in the delivery of a program but not assessment; or
  • your sole responsibility is to provide care and support to the children.

Teacher registration requirements

There are four categories of registration:

Qualification requirements for registration

For information about the requirements for teacher registration, the different registration categories and how to apply, please refer to the 'Becoming registered' section of the TRBWA website.