Overseas (international) criminal record checks

​​Overseas (international) criminal record checks required for applications 

Applicants not currently registered with the TRBWA are required to provide, with their application, an overseas (international)  criminal record check (OCRC) from every country they have resided in for a cumulative* period of 12 months or more,  from 18 years of age, during the 10 years prior to making their application for registration.

Overseas criminal record checks as part of a fit and proper assessment

In performing its functions, the TRBWA must regard the best interests of children as the paramount consideration. As such, an essential requirement for registration in Western Australia is that the applicant is deemed a fit and proper person to teach.

As part of the fit and proper assessment, applicants are required to consent to an Australian (national) criminal record check and provide an OCRC from every country they have resided in for over 12 months or more, from 18 years of age, in the 10 years prior to making their application. OCRCs form part of the fit and proper assessment. This aligns with policy in other Australian jurisdictions.

The OCRC must have been issued in the 12 months prior to submitting the application. It must cover the entire time spent in every country from the age of 18 years and include all names by which the applicant has been known by in that country.

Obtaining an overseas criminal record check from fit2work

To obtain an OCRC you must apply directly to fit2work, the approved provider of OCRCs for the TRBWA. You can apply for an OCRC online at fit2work

You can check on the progress of your OCRC at any time by logging onto the fit2work websiteOnce completed, the result of your OCRC will be emailed to you and also provided directly to the TRBWA.

Your fit2work OCRC application is separate to your teacher registration application. Payment for your OCRC must be made directly to fit2work. 

If you have any questions regarding your OCRC application, please contact fit2work on:

Telephone: 1300 525 525
Email: ichc@fit2work.com.au
Website: fit2work.com.au

Please note, your OCRC must be obtained from fit2work. OCRCs issued by other providers or obtained directly from the country you resided in, will not be accepted.

What if I am unable to obtain an overseas criminal record check from fit2work?

fit2work offer OCRCs from over 190 countries worldwide. If fit2work does not conduct a check for the country you resided in, the TRBWA may accept a statutory declaration. You will need to provide the following details as part of your statutory declaration:

  • the reasons you are not able to obtain the OCRC
  • what steps you took to obtain the OCRC and evidence of this
  • confirm if you have or do not have a criminal record in that country

If you are unable to obtain an OCRC from fit2work, please contact the TRBWA to request a statutory declaration. Please do not provide your own statutory declaration or obtain one from Australia Post.

*Cumulative – the total time spent in each individual country in the 10 years prior to making an application.

Example - If you are not currently registered, and you have spent 6 months in the UK in 2014 and another 6 months in 2016, the total time spent in the UK would be 12 months within the past 10 years. You would, therefore, be required to provide an OCRC from the UK.