Professional learning

1. ​How many hours of 'formal' professional learning activities do I have to undertake per year of registration?

For the renewal of Full Registration you must complete a minimum of 100 hours of professional learning since the registration was last granted or renewed.

If you are renewing a Limited Registration, that has been granted for 3 years, or a Provisional Registration due to exceptional circumstances, there is a requirement of 60 hours of professional learning since the registration was last granted or renewed. For Limited Registrations granted for less than 3 years, there is a requirement of 20 hours of professional learning for each year of registration.

If you gained registration with the TRBWA through Mutual Recognition, you may also include any professional learning completed in the other State or Territory or New Zealand since the registration was last granted or renewed.

The professional learning undertaken must include both formal and informal activities and must relate to the Professional Standards for Teachers in Western Australia.

Please note, there is no prescription in terms of how many hours are required to be formal activities or requirement to evenly attend professional learning activities over the period of registration.

More information on professional learning

2. Is there a pro-rata rate for relief teachers with regards to the professional learning hours to be completed for renewal of registration?

No. The Teacher Registration Act 2012 does not provide for any waiver for relief teachers or teachers on short contracts with regards to the number of professional development hours to be completed in order to meet the renewal of registration requirements.

3. What professional learning activities will be acceptable?

Please refer the Professional Learning page on this website.