Declaring your names

What is my primary name? ​

Your primary name is your current legal name, including all middle name​s.​​

What names do I have to declare?

It is a requirement that you declare all names (including all middle names) which you are or have ever been known by on the Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) Application and Informed Consent Form.

You will need to list: 

  • any aliases or assumed names – i.e. names you have used consistently or others have used when referring to you
  • name changes by marriage – i.e.  names you have used during any marriage
  • previous names used – i.e. names used before marriage or before changing your name by deed poll or any other method
  • names changed by deed poll – i.e. all names used after lodging an official change of name
  • spelling variations including hyphenations and spaces e.g. Katherine and Katerina, or John-Paul and John Paul, Mac Donald, MacDonald, Mc Donald or McDonald. 
  • all middle names if you have any, even if you don't normally use them​

The names listed in Section A of the NCCHC form as your primary surname and primary given names must match the identity documents you provide for your criminal history check. The identity documents you provide should contain your full name which includes all middle names.

If you are currently in the process of changing your name – for example you have recently married and have not received an updated licence and passport, you will need to ensure that you provide your official marriage certificate (as issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages) to evidence the name change and this new married name should also be listed on the NCCHC form​.