Not currently registered in WA

1. ​​​Do I have a teaching qualification that will meet TRBWA registration requirements?

If you are unsure as to whether your teaching qualification meets requirements, you may submit a Request for Qualifications Advice prior to making an application for registration. You will need to complete the online form Request for Qualification advice and pay the appropriate, non-refundable fee. Current application fees can be found in the Schedule of Fees

2. What is an academic transcript and how do I get one?

An academic transcript is one of the most crucial evidentiary documents required to make an application for registration. An application assessment cannot be made without it. If you do not possess an official academic transcript, you should contact the university at which you completed your studies and request, generally from the Academic Registrar's office, an official statement of your student record.

The academic transcript, shows information such as the students' name (printed in full), name of the course of study, minimum length of the course (in years), enrolment and completion dates, a list of all subjects and marks/grades and states that the course was completed.

The academic transcript should be on university letterhead, be signed by the Academic Registrar of the university (or a person in an equivalent position), must be dated and carry the appropriate stamps or seals of the university.

The TRBWA also requires evidence demonstrating you have completed a minimum of 45 supervised teaching practice days.

3. What if my supporting documents are not in English?

If your academic records or documents are in a language other than English, you must attach copies of the documents both in the original language and the English translation. Please note that translations must be prepared and certified as correct by a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). Information on how to find a NAATI accredited translator may be found through

4. Why is an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test result only valid for two years?

The Teacher Registration Act 2012 and the Teacher Registration (General) Regulations 2012 (Regulations) legislatively prescribe the English language requirements for the grant of teacher registration.

Under the Regulations, there are a number of ways by which a person may demonstrate the English language requirements for registration. For an applicant who is seeking to demonstrate the English language requirements through the submission of an IELTS (Academic) test result, Regulations 10(2) and 11(2) require that the test is undertaken no more than 2 years prior to the submission of the application.

This 2 year validity period is commonplace among organisations which use the IELTS test as an indicator of English language proficiency, and is based on the recommended validity period from IELTS itself.

It should be noted that, under the Regulations, an applicant may still be considered to meet the English language requirements for registration if both exceptional circumstances exist in relation to the applicant and the applicant's English language skills, both written and oral, are suitable for registration. In considering whether this criteria is met, the Board may take into account an IELTS test result that is older than two years.

For further information on the English language requirements of the Board please refer to the TRBWA English Language Policy  and Limited Registration English Language Policy.

5. How long does it take to process an application for registration?

The Board aims to process applications for registration as quickly as practicable. Most applications are finalised within 10 weeks.

It may, however, take longer, depending on the completeness and accuracy of the documentation and information supplied, the complexity of the application and the time it takes for the results of the criminal history check to be returned to the TRBWA.

6. Can I apply for Provisional Registration prior to receiving my qualification?

If you are enrolled in your final semester of study in an Australian accredited initial teacher education program (ITEP), you may make an application for Provisional Registration. You are advised to submit this application as early in your last semester as possible to allow time to work through any potential issues which may arise. All sections will be assessed and then await the provision of your final academic transcript.

Please note that significant delays in gaining registration are possible if you leave your application to the later part of the semester.

Australian accredited ITEPs are listed at

Please complete the Application for Provisional Registration- Final Year Students.

As part of an application you should authorise your university to release your final academic transcript directly to the TRBWA. Registration will only be granted when all the requirements for registration have been met.

7. Can I transfer my registration from another Australian State, Territory or New Zealand to Western Australia?

If you currently hold teacher registration in another Australian State, Territory, or New Zealand, you may be eligible to use the Mutual Recognition Principle to gain teacher registration in Western Australia.  You may apply for registration with the TRBWA through the Mutual Recognition Principle if you hold Full or Provisional Registration. Notice must be given to the registration body and other requirements must be met, such as the payment of registration fees. To apply for Mutual Recognition, please complete the Notice of Mutual Recognition form via Teacher Login. If registration is granted by the TRBWA, the period of registration will match your current registration period held in the other Australian State or Territory or New Zealand.

Please note, the Mutual Recognition application process does not include a criminal history check. Prior to commencing teaching, please check the employment requirements of your employing authority which may include completing a criminal history check. Contact your prospective employer for more information.