Overseas qualified teachers


If you have completed your teaching qualification outside of Australia or New Zealand then the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA) will complete a qualification assessment of your initial teaching qualification(s) as part of your registration application. Information on the qualification requirements is listed in the Qualifications Policy.

You may seek advice from the Board before applying for teacher registration to check if your teaching qualification(s) meets the requirements for registration.  Please submit a Request for Qualification Advice (online form) available via Teacher Login, along with the appropriate fee.

English language requirements

If your initial teacher education program was completed in one of the following countries then you may meet the English language proficiency requirements required for teacher registration.

  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America
  • Canada
  • Republic of Ireland

More information can be found in the English Language Policy and Limited Registration English Language policy.

Professional Standards

If you have taught or studied in an Australian teaching or educational context

In order to be in a position to meet the Professional Standards for Teachers in Western Australia at the Proficient Level, it is a requirement that the teacher has taught for a minimum period of 100 days in one or more Western Australian educational venues or other Australian or New Zealand schools in the 5 years prior to application.

In order to be in a position to meet the Professional Standards for Teachers in Western Australia at the Graduate Level, you must:

  • have taught at an educational venue in Australia or New Zealand or completed studies in teaching or education in an Australian of New Zealand university within the last 5 years; and
  • be capable of demonstrating that you meet all of the graduate standards, taking into account all of the focus areas and level descriptors under each of the seven standards.

If you have not taught or studied in an Australian teaching or educational context

​If you have neither taught nor studied in the Australian teaching and educational context, you are therefore generally considered by the Board to be unable to fully meet the Professional Standards. Until such time as such teachers either study or teach in Australia/New Zealand they will be unable to be granted registration in the Full or Provisional categories. 

However, overseas teachers in this position may still apply for Limited Registration or apply for Non-Practising Registration.

See the Professional Standards Policy for more information.

Overseas criminal history checks

If you have resided in a country other than Australia for a cumulative* period of 12 months or more, from 18 years of age, during the 10 years prior to making your application, you will need to provide an overseas criminal history check (OCHC) from each country with your application for registration. You can obtain your OCHC(s) from our approved provider fit2work. OCHCs issued by other providers will not be accepted. 

More information on overseas criminal history checks.

*Cumulative – the total time spent in each individual country in the past 10 years.

Example - This means that if you spent 6 months in the UK in 2011 and another 6 months in the UK in 2012, the total time spent in the UK would be 12 months within the past 10 years and you would need to obtain a criminal history check from the UK.