Mutual recognition

If you currently hold teacher registration in New Zealand or another Australian State/Territory, you may be eligible to use the Mutual Recognition Principle to gain teacher registration in Western Australia.

The Mutual Recognition Principle enables a person who is registered in connection with an occupation in New Zealand or an Australian State/Territory, to carry on the equivalent occupation in another Australian State/Territory or in New Zealand. Notice must be given to the registration body for that occupation and other registration requirements must be met, such as the payment of registration fees.

You may apply for registration with the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA) through the Mutual Recognition Principle if you hold Full or Provisional Registration (however described) with any of the following:

  • ACT Teacher Quality Institute
  • NSW Education Standards Authority
  • Queensland College of Teachers
  • Tasmanian Teachers Registration Board
  • Teacher Registration Board of the Northern Territory
  • Teachers Registration Board of South Australia
  • Victorian Institute of Teaching
  • Education Council Aotearoa New Zealand

Please ensure your interstate or New Zealand registration remains current while the TRBWA processes your application.

How to apply for registration under Mutual Recognition

To apply for registration under Mutual Recognition you need to download and complete both of the following:

Notice of Mutual Recognition form

Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) Application and Informed Consent Form

Once you have printed, completed and signed the NCCHC form, please forward it to the TRBWA, together with the completed Notice, copies of your identity documents and supporting documentation.

To avoid delays, please take care when checking the completeness of your application.

Further information can be found in the TRBWA Mutual Recognition Policy.