Complaints and feedback

​​Complaints and feedback about our services

Our aim is to provide a quality service to our clients with the goal of continuous improvement.

Complaints and feedback about our services and practices can be forward to the TRBWA using the TRBWA Feedback and Complaints Form or by email at

It is important that you provide as much detail as possible about your complaint or feedback. It may help us to respond to your complaint or feedback if you tell us what outcome you are seeking.

If you have not made a complaint to a public sector agency before, guidelines and information sheets available on the website of the Western Australian Ombudsman may help you to make your complaint to us.

For fur​ther information regarding how to make a complaint or provide feedback, please refer to the Feedback and Complaints Policy.

Complaints about the conduct of staff and contractors

The Department of Education Services (DES) is the employing authority for staff and contractors performing TRBWA services. Complaints about the conduct of staff members or contactors are taken seriously by the department.

Written complaints about the department's staff and contractors should be sent to

Appealing a Board decision

if you are dissatisfied with a reviewable decision as defined in s.124(2) of the Teacher Registration Act 2012, you may apply to the State Administrative Tribunal for a review of the decision. 

Making a Public Interest Disclosure (PID)

We are committed to the aims and objectives of the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2003.

We recognise the value and importance of contributions of members of public and staff to the improvement of administrative and management practices, and strongly support disclosures being made by members of the public or staff as to corrupt or other improper conduct.

You can find out more by clicking the links below:

The department's PID Officers are 

  • Mr David Lloyd, Executive Director, Corporate Governance and Non-Government School Funding, DES, Telephone: +61 8 9441 1900

  • Mr Richard Miles, Director, Teacher Registration, DES, Telephone +61 8 9441 1900.

You can also visit the website of the Public Sector Commissioner for further information about making a PID.​

Freedom of Information (FOI)

We are regarded as part of DES for the purposes of FOI.  Details about FOI at the department can be found in the DES Information Statement.

Under the Freedom of Information Act 1992 you have a right to apply for:

  • documents held by the department
  • your own personal information contained in departmental documents
  • the amendment of your personal information contained in department documents that you consider to be inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date or misleading.

FOI applications must:

  • be submitted in writing
  • provide enough information so that the documents requested can be identified
  • give an Australian address to which notices can be sent
  • be lodged at the department with any application fee payable.

Applications and enquires should be addressed to the Manager FOI and Strategic Complaint Operations, Corporate Governance and Strategic Resources, DES, Telephone: +61 8 9441 1900. 

You can also visit the website of the Office of the Information Commissioner if you would like further information about FOI.​​​​

Last modified: 15/12/2015 8:22 AM