Overseas (international) criminal record checks

​​Overseas (international) criminal record checks required for applications 

Applicants not currently registered with the TRBWA are required to provide, with their application, an overseas (international)  criminal record check (OCRC) from every country they have resided in for a cumulative* period of 12 months or more,  from 18 years of age, during the 10 years prior to making their application for registration.

You need to take all reasonable steps to obtain an OCRC.

Overseas criminal record checks as part of a fit and proper assessment

In performing its functions, the TRBWA must regard the best interests of children as the paramount consideration. As such, an essential requirement for registration in Western Australia is that the applicant is deemed a fit and proper person to teach.

As part of the fit and proper assessment, applicants are required to consent to an Australian (national) criminal record check and provide an OCRC from every country they have resided in for over 12 months or more, from 18 years of age, in the 10 years prior to making their application. OCRCs form part of the fit and proper assessment. This aligns with policy in other Australian jurisdictions.

The OCRC must have been issued in the 12 months prior to submitting the application. It must cover the entire time spent in every country from the age of 18 years and include all names by which the applicant has been known by in that country.

Obtaining an overseas criminal record check from fit2work

The TRBWA acknowledges that obtaining an OCRC can be a complex and time consuming process. To assist you in obtaining an OCRC for the purpose of your teacher registration application, the TRBWA has sourced a convenient and efficient online OCRC service. The approved service provider is fit2work

Please note, OCRCs issued by other private providers will not be accepted.

You can apply for an OCRC using the fit2work online application process, which can be accessed here

fit2work's online application for OCRCs is separate to your teacher registration application. Payment for your OCRC must be made directly to fit2work. You can check on the progress of your OCRC at any time by logging onto fit2work.

If you have any questions regarding your OCRC application, please contact fit2work on:

Telephone: 1300 525 525

Email: ichc@fit2work.com.au

Once completed, the result of your OCRC will be emailed to you and also provided directly to the TRBWA.

Overseas criminal record checks obtained directly from the country

If you have already obtained or commenced the process of obtaining an OCRC directly from the relevant authority in the country you resided in, it will be accepted by the TRBWA  provided that it:

  • is the correct check/document, issued by the correct agency/authority in the relevant country (see the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website for information)
  • was issued within the last 12 months
  • includes all the names by which you have been known in that country
  • covers the entire time you resided in that country from the age of 18
  • is accompanied by an English translation, completed by an authorised translator (if the OCRC is in a language other than English)
  • is properly certified by an authorised witness
  • is received by 30 November 2017.

For information on certifying documents, please refer to the Certifying documents information sheet.

English translations

Your fit2work OCRC will be issued in English.

If you provide an OCRC issued directly by the relevant authority in the country you resided in, and the OCRC is in a language other than English, you will need to provide both a certified copy of the original document and an English translation.

English translations undertaken in Australia must be prepared and certified as correct by a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). Information on how to find a NAATI accredited translator may be found through www.naati.com.au

English translations undertaken outside Australia will only be accepted if completed by an officially recognised translator and is endorsed with their full name, address, telephone number, job title and details of their qualifications.

Unable to obtain an overseas criminal record check from a particular country

fit2work offer OCRCs from over 190 countries worldwide. In the event that fit2work do not offer an OCRC for the country you resided in, the TRBWA may accept a statutory declaration. You will need to provide the following details as part of your statutory declaration:

  • the reasons you are not able to obtain the OCRC
  • what steps you took to obtain the OCRC and evidence of this
  • confirm if you have or do not have a criminal record in that country

If you are unable to obtain an OCRC from fit2work, please contact the TRBWA to request a statutory declaration. Please do not provide your own statutory declaration or obtain one from Australia Post.

*Cumulative – the total time spent in each individual country in the 10 years prior to making an application.

Example - If you are not currently registered, and you have spent 6 months in the UK in 2014 and another 6 months in 2016, the total time spent in the UK would be 12 months within the past 10 years. You would, therefore, be required to provide an OCRC from the UK.  

Last modified: 4/10/2017 3:39 PM