Mutual recognition

If you currently hold teacher registration in New Zealand or another Australian State/Territory, except New South Wales (NSW), you may be eligible to use the Mutual Recognition Principle to gain teacher registration in Western Australia.

The Mutual Recognition Principle enables a person who is registered in connection with an occupation in New Zealand or an Australian State/Territory, to carry on the equivalent occupation in another Australian State/Territory or in New Zealand. Notice must be given to the registration body for that occupation and other registration requirements must be met, such as the payment of registration fees.

You may apply for registration with the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA) through the Mutual Recognition Principle if you hold Full or Provisional Registration (however described) with any of the following:

  • ACT Teacher Quality Institute
  • Queensland College of Teachers
  • Tasmanian Teachers Registration Board
  • Teacher Registration Board of the Northern Territory
  • Teachers Registration Board of South Australia
  • Victorian Institute of Teaching
  • New Zealand Teachers Council

Please ensure your interstate or New Zealand registration remains current while the TRBWA processes your application.

If you are a teacher from NSW 

Mutual recognition is available to teachers who are registered in all jurisdictions in Australia other than NSW, and to teachers registered in New Zealand. 

Teachers from NSW are not eligible to obtain teacher registration with TRBWA through the Mutual Recognition Principle, due to differences between the accreditation of teachers in NSW, and the registration of teachers in WA. 

Teachers from NSW can apply for​ registration in any of the four categories of registration under the Teacher Registration Act 2012.

How to apply for registration under Mutual Recognition

To apply for registration under Mutual Recognition you need to download and complete both of the following:

Notice of Mutual recognition form

National Police Checking Service (NPCS) Informed Consent Form

Once you have printed, completed and signed the National Police Checking Service Informed Consent Form, please forward it to the TRBWA, together with 100 points of correctly certified identification and supporting documentation required for your application.

To avoid unnecessary delay, please take care when checking the completeness of your application.

Further information can be found in the TRBWA Mutual Recognition Policy.

Last modified: 6/09/2016 1:46 PM