Criminal record checks

An applicant/nominee must consent to the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA) obtaining their criminal history (if any) when applying for:

  • registration as a teacher in any category
  • renewal of their registration
  • another category of registration

A criminal record check forms part of the fit and proper assessment requirements of the TRBWA.  It is different to the Working with Children Check.

The TRBWA does not receive any physical copies of the criminal record check and cannot provide a copy to the person concerned.

The TRBWA considers all convictions, including spent convictions, when examining the fitness of a person to be registered.

The TRBWA may also, by notice in writing, request a registered teacher to provide written consent to the TRBWA to obtain a criminal record check at any time during the period of registration.

If a registered teacher fails to provide the consent as requested, the TRBWA will cancel their registration, unless the TRBWA accepts that there are exceptional circumstances as to why consent was not provided.

National Police Checking Service (NPCS) Informed Consent Form 

Overseas criminal record checks

Last modified: 29/09/2017 10:00 AM